Friday, May 16, 2008

Football Club

No, not that kind of football you stinkin' Americans! The kind where the ball is maneuvered by a players foot. I can't remember if I mentioned it but a few weeks ago Saipan hosted the 2008 Marianas Cup, in which the men's and women's national teams played against their rivals from Guam. The women's teams played on Saturday, and Saipan avenged their 9-0 trouncing from last year by keeping the match a scoreless draw through two overtime periods, despite an amazing offensive effort by Guam. The men's team was also out to avenge a loss from their last match-up, and it was an exciting game, with goals going back and forth. Saipan tied the score 3-3 and regulation play ended that way, but in the final seconds of the second overtime period Guam hit a strike from about 25 yards out, and with almost no time left to reply, Saipan was defeated.

The interesting part of some of these matches were the age of some of the players. The women's player who I was most impressed with turned out to be a 15 year old middle school student! On the women's national team! As soon as I met the coach of the teams, he pointed out the possibility of being a national team player. "Where else could you just move to and become a player on the National Team?" he asked me with a smile. Intriguing, for sure.

So I went out and played in a pick-up game tonight. The bulk of the players were Korean, but there were a few others there, and it was a really good time. I had just bought brand new cleats, so it was a good chance to try them out, break them in and get a few touches on a ball in traffic. There is a 3 on 3 tournament this Sunday, with cash prizes for the winners in three divisions. So it was good to handle the ball a little bit.

About the only other thing I did was ride the bike today, I'd guess I rode about 16 to 20 miles back and forth around the island today, and I still have a half-mile to go to get home, up-hill, in the dark, and the snow, barefoot...Plus the running around during the soccer match, so now I'm good and worn out...

and looking forward to some more football playing soon...

2 comments:

River said...

Sounds like fun! And a good way to meet some more folk, too. I gotta stick with my team though, the Wolverines from Guam.
Its really neat to be privy to your settling in process.

ryran said...

AWESOME!