Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Sur-Real Life

Surreal...overused and misunderstood--at least by me.
I won't get into my issues with this word as a descriptive tool...

Yesterday played out in an almost theater-like way...as the morning began with the graveside service for a woman who a month-and-a-half ago I wouldn't have described as extremely close, but who I would today describe as the most inspiring teacher I have ever had--like a second mother even. Although we have had quite a bit of interaction over the past six weeks, I think that maybe my perspective is what underwent the most radical change, as opposed to any effort on her part to shift our relationship. I stood with her family and friends as we celebrated the beginning of her soul's journey into the next world of God.

Less than an hour after her body was lowered into the ground and covered with earth, I was at my mother's house for a party to celebrate my upcoming marriage. Many of the same people came to both events...

2 comments:

ryran said...

Wow. I really had/have no idea what this past month 'n a half has been like for you. And that's okay. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Life goes on.